Followers

Monday, May 4, 2015

Still have 10 fingers & I can make a jig, or is it dance a jig?



My new saw, that is over a year old!!


Christmas of 2013, yes 2013, my wonderful husband gave me this Micro Mark table saw.  Since I was just recouping from surgery at that time, and wasn't allowed to lift anything more than five pounds for 2 months, it sat unused.  FOR 16 MONTHS.  No it didn't take me that long to recoup. Studies and fear that I might cut off my fingers, kept me away from this wonderful machine.

Well now I have been brave.  I have set it up, even hooked it up to a wet vac to take away all the saw dust and I am ready to go.  Since my Plan B for my garden roof didn't work, I had to move on to it.....yes you guessed right, Plan A.  I have decided to put the copper roof on the Garden shed after all.
In order to do this, I had to build a jig to create the ridging in the copper roof.  Now where I live in Newfoundland, a jig is a wild dance to some traditional Newfoundland music, but in our miniature world, a jig is a contraption that will help me fold these rolls of copper into the right shape to look like real copper roofing.


Here's a picture of real copper roofing that I borrowed from an internet search, before any rain gets to oxidize it.

And here's what my copper roof is supposed to look like after I finish shaping it, gluing it and oxidizing it with vinegar, and yes you guessed it, more salt.  Hope I have better luck with my next experiment with salt.


The plans called for a piece of 3/4" plywood to make the jig.  I only had 1/2", but I got creative and added two strips on each side to bring up the thickness of the board to 3/4".  The piece of plywood was slightly warped, so when I ran it though the saw to make the necessary 3/32" groove, the cut wasn't as deep in the center of the plywood as it was on the two ends,  So I raised the blade a shade higher just for the middle of the cut, to get the groove deep enough,  It appears to have worked.  

The plans also called to keep the copper flush with the end of the plywood as you bend the pieces, so I decided to add a strip of scrap wood at the end to give the plywood jig a lip to keep the copper square to the end at all times.

Here's the completed jig.


In this picture you can see the warp in the board.  Hope it doesn't cause too much of an issue.  I put a stack of rock slivers in a plastic container on it for overnight to see if it will take out the warp.  Wish me luck.


All my fingers seem to be there, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....wheeeee!!  

Until the next time.....
Wanda

4 comments:

otterine said...

Whoa! :D This is exciting!

PILAR6373 said...

Un buen comienzo,es un proyecto genial!!!
Besos.

minwks said...

Hi Wanda,
So glad that your fingers are still in the right place. Looks like the jig will be very helpful - wondering if the warp straightened,
I used copper on the roof of my little dormers but simply cut the copper then beat them into shape over a wood form. I then attempted to age them with vinegar. I have been working on my mini house for so long I believe they have appropriately aged themselves as I live near the water!
A very nice project, look forward to seeing what happens next.
Greetings from the Canadian West Coast.
Janine

Wanda said...

Thanks everyone. Janine I love your project.