For those who followed my progress on the garden shed, you will know that I got the plans from Miniature Collector.
The plans called for a copper roof with a green patina. I purchased all the copper for the roof, but it's the one thing that I have avoided doing. It was very intimidating, and something I have never attempted. I always find when I reach blocks such as this I tend to put projects on the back burner and this is definitely what happened here.
Then I was inspired by a metal roof I had saw on another project. Even though I didn't have exact instructions, I had enough pictures that I felt I could duplicate it. I thought I would share how I attempted it with all of you in case you want to try a similar roof on one of your projects.
I started with a roll of corrugated cardboard that I picked up at Michael's. I cut it into pieces that were approximately 2"x 3" and painted them with a Aluminum enamel paint. It took a couple of bottles and a couple of coats, and my craft room had a very overwhelming odor by the end of it. Thankfully my scents-sensitive husband was away on a golfing trip to South Carolina while I worked on this part. Hopefully the fumes will have subsided before he returns!
I knew once I applied the pieces to the roof, there was a possibility that the roof below may be visible at times, so I decided to paint the roof black so the wood wouldn't stand out. I removed the shed from the landscape during this stage so that I wouldn't drip black paint on the grass or flowers.
There are a couple of sites that also have instructions for creating a rusty metal roof that you also may enjoy. Even though I didn't use either site's instructions directly, there were a lot of learnings I took from both. Greenleaf has this roof instructions using tin foil.
The V-spot has instructions for making peeling paint spots. I did use part of these instructions, but rather than starting with a rusty coat first, I started with an aluminum coat first, then rust and then aluminum again. I did it this way because I was working with cardboard and I feared that when I removed the salt I didn't want the cardboard exposed. I thought the more layers I had under the salt, the better for the final product.
I painted lots and lots of pieces, first with aluminum.....
The with a rust shade of enamel paint
Then I put a water wash on the rust areas and added the salt in spots that I hoped would be natural.
I waited a day for the salt to dry.
Then I painted the aluminum colour over the dried salt spots
Then I attempted to remove the salt spots has per the instructions I had read. I learned a very valuable lesson. This technique DOES NOT WORK WITH ENAMEL PAINT
I kept all the cardboard pieces. They actually look a lot like corroded metal, so they may be useful for a future project. So if you are attempting this project, I would suggest using acrylic. If you're looking for a corroded look, salt and enamel work great!!
So now I have to decide if I want to cut new cardboard strips and start all over again with acrylic paint, or if I want to go back to Plan A and actually do the copper roof that was called for in the plans. I reread the plans, they actually offered up cedar shingles as Plan B, but I've done that before, I want to try something new.
Looks like a have some thinking to do. Doesn't it look wonderful when I share my failures as well as my accomplishments!!
By the way....school's over for another year!! I have time for miniatures!!!
Until the next time......