I have struggled this past several days with the paving tiles. I had no issues gluing them to the base of the project but then I struggled with how to add a combination of sand and "grass" to give a look of growth between the tiles. I also wanted some of the sand showing on the edge of the tiles blending into the grass sheeting. I've had a terrible time getting it to adhere firmly to the base.
I used the same sand that is used in model railroad displays, but it doesn't seem to want to glue firmly to the base. As a final effort I tried spraying the finished area with a matt sealer to see if that would add to the adhesion, but it doesn't appear to have helped. The actual spraying of the sealer just caused some of the loose sand to blow on to the tiles. I don't know if anyone has had experience using this sand, if so I would really appreciate a few hints to help me with the project. Maybe it isn't meant to be glued in place, and is suppose to just lay there, my old fear of that is portability, if I ever had to move the project.
At any rate, here are some of the shots I took of the job so far. Before gluing the tiles I did "age" them a little with some white and dirty colors because they looked too new. I was pleased with the results of this. I also had to add the molding around the edge of the base to keep the sand in at the front edge.
I would love to have your suggestions and feedback on how I can better adhere the sand.
On a more postive note, I would like to welcome Carol from Wee Cute Treasures. I've followed Carol's blog for a while now and I am so impressed with her dolls. Her latest venture at flower making has been extremely impressive, and I am so envious of her lovely garden. Thanks for following along with my blog Carol.
Until the next time...........