I did learn one lesson from this task though. When cutting through metal wear a face mask over your mouth and nose. The metal shavings mustache I was sporting afterwards wasn't pretty!! I was sneezing metal shavings for a day afterwards.....it wasn't pretty!!
Then it was on to the task of making a shiny black metal window box not so shiny and new. Again I returned to my Dremel with a fine tip grinding attachment and removed the shine and some of the black paint. This also helped to prep the surface for the bit of rust that I added to the window box afterwards. When you consider watering the planter box daily must result in some rust on the metal over time right?!
I liked the end result. You can see the comparison of the ungrinded half versus the one I have aged. It made a nice difference. Now I have an extra window box for a future project!
Then I had to fill it. I added some foam covered in "moss" and added the geraniums I had made. I was so pleased with the results of the geraniums. It's a Hanky Panky kit and I have to say it was my most successful completion of a Hanky Panky kit so far. It went together beautifully and even though I only had enough petals for 6 flowers, but I had lots of leaves. I checked my supply of punches and found that I had one very similar to the petals in the kit, and I had the identical paper, since I've bought lots of paper from Hanky Panky, and I punched out petals for 6 more flowers. I still have lots of leaves left, the kit recommended making some stems with just leaves on, which I may do. Do you think the flower box needs more leaves? Love to have your opinion. I have lots of leaves!
I love the geraniums leaves. As per the kit instructions I had to add some gold chaulk in the middle of the leaves and some rust chaulk around the edges, and I think it adds a lot of realism to the leaves!
Using another Hanky Panky punch, I also added some ivy vine hanging down the planter box. I could also add more of these, I think I punched out about 10,000 leaves!! It takes a lot of time to vein and curve them, and I added a little colour around the edges to make them a little varigated.
No flower box in the spring would be complete without another visitor as well. I purchased my last addition to the window box at last year's Camp Mini Ha Ha. It was made by one of my fellower campers, and I think she has done a beautiful job on the butterfly. From the moment I saw the butterfly I knew I had a home for the little guy. He is perfect in his new spot.
Overall I am pleased with the results. Hope you like it.
On a last note I have to welcome one new follower! Amica, I don't see that you have your own blog, but if I have overlooked it, let me know and I will post a link to the blog here. Welcome, I hope you enjoy the postings!
Until the next time...........