And then there were two............

I've tackled the window box project.  My first task was to cut the window box in half, and thanks to my Dremel with a cutting wheel attachment that task was completed in a matter of minutes.


I did learn one lesson from this task though.  When cutting through metal wear a face mask over your mouth and nose.  The metal shavings mustache I was sporting afterwards wasn't pretty!!  I was sneezing metal shavings for a day afterwards.....it wasn't pretty!!

Then it was on to the task of making a shiny black metal window box not so shiny and new.  Again I returned to my Dremel with a fine tip grinding attachment and removed the shine and some of the black paint.  This also helped to prep the surface for the bit of rust that I added to the window box afterwards.  When you consider watering the planter box daily must result in some rust on the metal over time right?!


I liked the end result.  You can see the comparison of the ungrinded half versus the one I have aged.  It made a nice difference.  Now I have an extra window box for a future project!


Then I had to fill it.  I added some foam covered in "moss" and added the geraniums I had made.  I was so pleased with the results of the geraniums.  It's a Hanky Panky kit and I have to say it was my most successful completion of a Hanky Panky kit so far.  It went together beautifully and even though I only had enough petals for 6 flowers, but I had lots of leaves.  I checked my supply of punches and found that I had one very similar to the petals in the kit, and I had the identical paper, since I've bought lots of paper from Hanky Panky, and I punched out petals for 6 more flowers.  I still have lots of leaves left, the kit recommended making some stems with just leaves on, which I may do. Do you think the flower box needs more leaves?  Love to have your opinion.  I have lots of leaves!

I love the geraniums leaves.  As per the kit instructions I had to add some gold chaulk in the middle of the leaves and some rust chaulk around the edges, and I think it adds a lot of realism to the leaves!


Using another Hanky Panky punch, I also added some ivy vine hanging down the planter box.  I could also add more of these, I think I punched out about 10,000 leaves!!  It takes a lot of time to vein and curve them, and I added a little colour around the edges to make them a little varigated.

No flower box in the spring would be complete without another visitor as well.  I purchased my last addition to the window box at last year's Camp Mini Ha Ha.  It was made by one of my fellower campers, and I think she has done a beautiful job on the butterfly.  From the moment I saw the butterfly I knew I had a home for the little guy.  He is perfect in his new spot.





Overall I am pleased with the results.  Hope you like it.



On a last note I have to welcome one new follower!  Amica, I don't see that you have your own blog, but if I have overlooked it, let me know and I will post a link to the blog here.  Welcome, I hope you enjoy the postings!

Until the next time...........

Wanda

Comments

  1. They turned out great with no need to worry about filling a large space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window box "bash" truned out spectacular. I like your flowers and the butterfly is a delighful addition.

    If it were up to me, I'd add more ivy. The boxes with geraniums and ivy that I've seen "fer real" have a lot of hanging ivy.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great boxes. So clever of you to cut the box in half and receive two beautiful flower boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers look great! I like the halved window box, too. It looks so much more in scale. I would add both more leaves and more ivy. This whole project is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular!!! You did such an awesome job! I think it looks fantastic!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flower box is wonderful! You've put so much work into it, and it really shows. It's so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow- it's really gorgeous Wanda! I think I would add some more ivy or geranium leaves but I say that because I like really full and overflowing planters. It looks beautiful the way it is too. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a good idea to cut the box in half - 2 for 1, we like that! I'm with Kim here and would add more leaves and ivy too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very nice!!! Thanks for the tips. I want to age a wrought iron table and chair set I bought recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Je bloembak is super geslaagd, echt knap gemaakt !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts